AP WORLD THEMES
- Political organization
- What functions do governments perform?
- Who holds power in society (power structure)?
- How is power passed down?
- Where does power reside (centralized or decentralized)?
- Social structure and gender structure
- What roles do men play in society?
- What roles do women play in society?
- What roles to children and the elderly play in society?
- Social class
- Economic structure of society
- How do people earn a living?
- What role does trade play in society?
- How does labor get done in society? Who does it and how do they get paid?
- What role does government play in the economy?
- How does society judge or value various economic activities?
- Cultural and intellectual developments and interactions
- What is the role and impact of religion and philosophy?
- What is the role and impact of art?
- What is the role and impact of science (scientific knowledge)?
- Cultural values, ceremonies, and celebrations?
- Impact of technology
- Political = weaponry for military
- Economic = tools for agriculture, manufacturing, trade, banking
- Social = how does technology impact gender roles and migration?
- Impact of cross-culturalinteraction among major societies
- What are the 3 vehicles of diffusion (spread)?
- human migration
- How does interaction lead to syncretism (blending)?
- How has something changed over time (change)?
- How has something remained the same over time (continuity)?
- Compare and Contrast
- What are the similarities between societies?
- What are the differences between societies?